Wilson Center for Social Entrepreneurship: Control Arms - Summer Campaign Associate
Organization Name: Control Arms
Internship Role: 2021 Summer Campaign Associate
Location: 450 Lexington Ave, 4th Fl., New York NY 10017
On-site/ Remote: Remote
Length of Internship: 35hrs/week for 8 weeks (280 hours total)
Compensation: $16.00/hour - total of $4,480.00
About the Organization: The Control Arms Coalition brings together over 150 non-governmental organizations from many different fields, including human rights, poverty alleviation, conflict reduction, weapons specialists, health, youth, gender, survivor networks, parliamentary networks, and legal expertise. The Coalition works together to reduce armed violence worldwide.
Control Arms works toward achieving our mission by supporting universal membership to and effective implementation of the ATT through three distinct workstreams:
· Coordination of high-quality and representative civil society engagement in the ATT process and related multilateral fora, including UNGA First Committee on International Security and Disarmament, UN Human Rights Council, UN Program of Action on Small Arms And Light Weapons (UNPoA), and the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW).
· Provision of technical training programs, research and advocacy campaigns, such as the ATT Academy programme which offers tailored, in-depth and interactive learning opportunities for government officials and civil society representatives at the global, regional and national level.
· Cutting-edge independent research and analysis provided by the ATT Monitor project.
2021 Summer Campaign Associate, Control Arms
The successful candidate will play an integral role in supporting the Control Arms Coalition's advocacy and outreach, in the development and implementation of workshops and technical training, as well as in drafting social media and communications campaigns around relevant international meetings, particularly the Seventh Conference of States Parties to the Arms Trade Treaty. As part of this role, the campaign associate will:
· Play an active role in implementing current campaign initiatives, both digital and offline
· Support other Control Arms staff with preparations for relevant international/ regional meetings. This will include logistical support (booking meeting space, organizing travel and accommodation) as well as preparation of conference-related resources, such as policy briefs and logistics guide, and campaign actions.
· Assist in organizing virtual side events, consultations and panel discussions in the context of the ATT Conference of States Parties;
· Conduct research to support media, campaign or policy work as needed.
· Contribute to the maintenance of Control Arms; online presence particularly through its website, Twitter and Facebook accounts.
· Completed or enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program (Prefer students focused on peace and justice, political science or international relations/affairs)
· Proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; knowledge of WordPress or web platform management and/or coding an asset
· Experience with event organization
· Experience with advocacy or campaigning desired but not essential
· Strong written communication skills in English; other languages a strong asset (preferably French and Spanish)
· Experience in a workplace and ability to prioritize and manage responsibilities
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who is:
· Is passionate about international affairs, effecting change in the world or working with NGOs
· Is driven, shows initiative and is not afraid to ask questions
· Has excellent written and verbal communication skills or social media experience