Wilson Center for Social Entrepreneurship: WestHab - Development Intern
Organization Name: Westhab, Inc
Internship Role: Development Intern
Location: 8 Bashford Street, Yonkers, NY 10701
Length of Internship: 35hrs/week for 8 weeks (280 hours total)
Compensation: $16.00/hour - total of $4,480.00
About the Organization: Westhab is Westchester's largest provider of affordable housing and services for the homeless. In addition, we have recently expanded into New York City, where Westhab operates nine shelters in addition to the three it runs in Westchester. Always intent not just on addressing the problem, but working to find a solution, Westhab also provides employment services and youth programs, supporting families to break the cycle of poverty. Westhab’s development team consists of the vice president of development, the development associate, the communications manager, and the grant writer. From fundraising and event planning, to grant writing, social media management, blogging, and public relations, the development team is a dynamic group with a wide range of responsibilities and project opportunities. Therefore, the development intern will be able to assist with projects that suit their interests whenever time permits. The summer 2021 development intern will be joining the Westhab team during our 40th anniversary year. This comes with a variety of unique opportunities to help with storytelling and event planning.
About the Development Intern Position:
The Development Intern will support the Development Associate with logistics leading up to the 40th anniversary gala scheduled to take place in November 2021. Related projects include assisting the communications manager with the 40th anniversary jounal, a culminating report and organizational history that will be distributed to Westhab’s supporters. Additional and related responsibilities may also include:
· Managing gala registrations
· Communicating and liaising with donors
· Preparing for the paddle raise
· Following up with local businesses about journal ads
· Coordinating with the graphic designer and the communications manager re: journal content.
· Work with the communications manager on creating social media content
· Drafting blogs and press releases
· Contributing to Westhab’s internal newsletter.
While there are several exciting projects to work on, interns may also have the occasional menial task that helps support the bigger picture. Applicants interested in filling this internship position should possess the following skills:
· Extremely organized and able to juggle multiple tasks/projects at once.
· Strong and versatile writer, able to write and edit in different styles, and turn things around quickly.
· Proficient in google suite, including google drive, and comfortable using social media platforms (mostly Facebook and Twitter).
The ideal candidate is passionate about the mission of our organization, Westhab is a nonprofit organization that is passionate about serving the homeless, and supporting low-income communities. Everyone that works at Westhab, no matter what their role, is here to serve our clients. The development intern should be a socially conscious person, willing to go above and beyond to help Westhab further its mission: building communities, changing lives.